Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Guillaume de Machaut and love songs

A couple months ago, my friend Yves Seban sent me a link with a bunch of Middle Ages music by Guillaume De Machaut. When I heard the first one which is Douce Dame Jolie, I immediately wanted to try it on the qin. By listening to its melody, I could almost find all the notes on the qin. So I went online to get the staff notation of this song and then worked carefully for the details, as I wanted to make it as a fingering exercise piece. I also listened to several different recordings on Youtube, including this one from La Morra that Yves sent me too. After a few days, I could play the whole song with confidence. After making a couple of recordings myself, I have fine tuned a few notes and then finally have come up with what I played at the 1/3/2021 yaji. This recording I made two days before the yaji.

For the Yaji records, please visit my guqin yaji blog.

Here are the slides of my 1/3/2021 presentation







Reference about courtly love and A Cultural Perspective on Romantic Love.
Thanks to Yves provided this link:
 

Marilyn's question during the yaji makes me to review my creation process. I had put some notes down as below.




No comments:

Post a Comment