Sunday, January 1, 2017

Journals from FB in 2014



Pull out my Wumen Qinpu 吳門琴譜 Page 9 and here has Master Wuzhoji's idea of the usage of Yin and Nao, that one should avoid not to clearly distinguish Yin, Nao, Chuo and Zhu, and avoid using yin nao vibrato and sliding all the time or too showy of techniques to impress audience. Master Wu also point out that one should play with variety of the Yin, nao, and having differences of their length, strength and speed. Do not mechanically fixed the beats. The differences depends on each song's plot development.

From what I have learned by listening Yue Ying's Liezi Ride on Wind, I noticed that she used many different vibrato and that does change the rhythm and make the whole melody very vivid and exciting. And that is really really different from my playing style that I learned from the Wu school. Currently I am putting myself at the stage of 看山不是山(Mountain is not mountain), and hope one day I will reach to the stage of 看山又是山(mountain is again the mountain), and reach Master Wu's idea... 
從打譜列子御風, 一直聽樂瑛彈的, 確實覺得她運用很多不同的吟猱是譜上沒有標注的.而確實因不同的吟猱綽注使得此曲節奏多變, 豐富有活力, 與我過去所彈的曲風非常不同, 學習此曲是為了讓自己進到看山不是山的階段, 希望有朝一日能再進到看山又是山的境界. 並達到吳兆基先生所說的雋永的韻味層次.


5/30/2014
------------------------------


Today changed my WP qin to MH silk string and while putting them on, I looked carefully of the tuning pegs. I really like them... made by some kind of jade but not sure what kind of insect carving on them, looks like bats, my first impression. And bats symbolize 福, bliss and good fortune, which makes them more special to me. Also I learned from Charles that if the top of tuning peg is not flat but has concave a little bit that will prevent the slippery, and they are indeed grab pretty well.
5/29/2014
---------------------


Old photo from 1874, a qin player.[National Library of Brazil]
Peiyouqin 木上絲 Thanks to my friend Andre to guide me to this page:
that has the original photos collected in Brazil National Library.

5/5/2014
David Badagnani Where was the photo taken?
LikeReplyMessageMay 5, 2014 at 8:52pm
Peiyouqin 木上絲 Donn't know. just shared from another Facebook site and there is no further info about this photo. Maybe someone in Brazil can check with their national library.
LikeReply1Commented on by Peiyou ChangMay 5, 2014 at 8:53pm
Peiyouqin 木上絲 My Brazilian composer friend Andre found the only info: Russian Scientific-Commercial Expedition to China: 1874-1875 - Photographer: Adolf-Nikolay Erazmovich Boiarski
LikeReplyCommented on by Peiyou ChangMay 6, 2014 at 9:37pm
David Badagnani Excellent--I wonder if there are more music photos from this collection.
LikeReplyMessageMay 6, 2014 at 9:39pm
David Badagnani This must be one of the earliest photographs of Chinese music. The earliest one I have in my albums is of a xiansuo group, I think 1860s.
LikeReplyMessageMay 6, 2014 at 9:39pm
David Badagnani How did Andre find that? I searched on the Brazilian national library website but couldn't find anything.
LikeReplyMessageMay 6, 2014 at 9:41pm
Peiyouqin 木上絲 David, if you look at this link: http://objdigital.bn.br/.../icon325574/galery/index.htm
there are several antique photos have musicians and opera actors.

LikeReplyRemove Preview1Commented on by Peiyou ChangMay 7, 2014 at 10:48am

http://objdigital.bn.br/acervo_digital/div_iconografia/TH_christina/icon325574/galery/index.htm


------------------------------------------------------



With Prof. James and one of his student Alex, who has heard Guan Ping-hu's Liu Shui (flowing water) and did his home work before the class. :) Bravo!
4/7/2014
-------------------------------------------------------------------


小重山 岳飛
昨夜寒蛩不住鳴。
驚回千里夢,已三更。
起來獨自繞階行。
人悄悄,簾外月朧明。

白首為功名。
舊山松竹老,阻歸程。
欲將心事付瑤琴。
知音少,弦斷有誰聽?

Manifold Little Hills - Yue Fei

The autumn crickets chirped incessantly last night,
Breaking my dream homeland;
It was already midnight.
I got up and alone walked around in the yard;
There was no human sound,
On window screen the moon shone bright.

My hair turns grey
For the glorious day.
In native hills bamboos and pines grow old.
O when can I see my homeland?
I would confide to my qin what I have in mind,
But connoisseurs are few.
Who would be listening,
Though I break my string?

3/31/2014
---------------------------------


In the preface of Yolan 幽蘭 manuscript, there are three characters of "Year" (年 nian), two were written in Wuzetian's (the first female emperor 武則天 624-705AD) creation of the character of nian, and one is the regular nian. And looks like the Wuzetian's nian were re-write after the rice paper had some damage. 禎明三年= 開皇九年 =公元 589 AD年. So Yolan must had been existing then. I am just feeling amazed that we can still play a qin piece that is 1450 -1500 years ago without too much of difficulty. And think of that the qin must been played even longer than 1500 years to be able to develop to this mature stage.
3/20/2014
-------------------------------------

There was a moment while I was playing qin this morning, I felt very pleased. Then that feeling faded away with some noise in my mind. I tried to find that happy moment, it no longer show up. Don't know why it happen and don't know why it disappear...
Andre Ribeiro I know what you're feeling. last semester, in the few moments I had free time, play guqin make everything disappear in five or ten minutes. Things in life hold us so much that we no longer know how to have these moments of happiness without the help of some outside activity.
UnlikeReplyMessage3March 16, 2014 at 1:33pm
Peiyouqin 木上絲 true, so true...
Peiyouqin 木上絲 I was just thinking why aged wine taste sweeter but old memory for me most of them taste bitter.
Liu De Ming ....that is dao my dear.
UnlikeReplyMessage1March 17, 2014 at 2:05pm
Alexander M Nagant You pretty much described every morning that I practice zazen
UnlikeReplyMessage1March 17, 2014 at 5:32am
Andre Ribeiro But at some point we'll need someone to share our things. A friend. Be all alone isn't a good thing.
UnlikeReplyMessage1March 16, 2014 at 3:12pm
Peiyouqin 木上絲 Share with a friend who knows "your music" is such a wonderful thing.  in Chinese 知音, someone understand your music, also means someone understand you, is a good friend, but it is always not easy to encounter such a good friend. See Translation
Andre Ribeiro Hm... Make me wonder too! I believe that find happiness it is a matter of daily practice. Unlike wine, with aged we lost the child ability to be happy with smal pretty things. Maybe face the reality by point of view of kids could be useful. 
UnlikeReplyMessage1March 16, 2014 at 3:10pm
3/16/2014
---------------------------------------


"瑟者,嗇也,閒也,所以懲忽宮商角則宜。君父有節,臣子有義,然後四時和,四時和然後萬物生,故謂之瑟也。琴者,禁也,所以禁止淫邪、正人心也。" 這是在漢代的國寶論著< 白虎通德論> 中所紀錄的. 為什麼琴者,禁也; 瑟者,嗇也? 想聽聽琴友們的看法? 
[Virtuous discussions of the White Tiger Hall] is a protocol of the Confucian conference discussions on the relationships between politics, cosmology and philosophy that were held in Han dynasty, 58 AD in the White Tiger Hall. It has mentioned that the Qin is to restrain oneself, and the Se is to thrift. Why is that? Would like to know what do qin friends think of this saying?
Peiyouqin 木上絲 原文應為: 瑟者、嗇也,閑(閉?)也。 所以懲 (忽) [忿] [窒欲、正人之德也]。 [故曰]: [瑟有君父之節],[臣子法] 宮商角則 (宜)君父有節,臣子有義,然後四時和。 四時和然後萬物生。 故謂之瑟也。

琴者、禁也, 所以禁止淫邪、正人心也。
Peiyouqin 木上絲 彈琴人當知"適可而止" Qin players should know "[shìkěérzhǐ] to stop before going too far (idiom)". I think that is the main message, but not just the qin players should know that ...
Choo Zeeman 我有過類似的想法,但是和琴與簫有關的。向來覺得,簫抒我心,我吹簫時是痛快地直敍心懷的感覺,悲即悲,喜即喜,一切情緒都隨簫音一氣而發。而琴呢,給我的感覺是個沉思的旋律。一切想法經過靜下來三思、消化而後徐徐道出。所以作琴簫合奏時,我感到的是一種中和:琴中和了簫抒發的情緒,使其合乎情理而不至於偏激,而簫帶入了一點衷誠的人情悲喜入琴音中,使其不至於停留在沉思中而已。

這不禁讓我想,古人作琴瑟合奏時,也許有類似的構思呢。
UnlikeReplyMessage1March 3, 2014 at 3:50am
Peiyouqin 木上絲 Very nice, thanks for sharing your thought. 
3/32014
---------------------



琴學知識每日一問, Qin Study Daily One Question: (這題是給某些初學者仍不清楚絃的順序...This question is for some beginners who still confused about the order of string... ;)
大弦是指第幾絃? The so called "big string" is which string on the qin? The 7th string or the 4th string or the 1st string?
Hall Travis Ii think the largest string is 1 or C. The thinnest string is 7 or D. The Pentatonic order is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. or C,D,F,G,A,C,D. That is how i set up my qin. Although there are other ways to arrange the Qin too.
LikeReplyMessageJanuary 24, 2014 at 9:40pm
Peiyouqin 木上絲 Thanks for your input. However, when you say "the pentatonic order is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7." I think you should say 1,2,4,5,6,1,2, which means do, re, fa, sol, la, do, re (or 5,6,1,2,3,5,6 sol, la, do, re, mi, sol, la). Because 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 will be do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, si (or ti) that is not the tonic order of the basic tuning of the guqin.
Hall Travis Sorry. You are correct. I typed fast and didnt think the numbers out.. 1,2,4,5,6,1,2 is how the music teacher set up my qin in wuhan.
UnlikeReplyMessage1January 25, 2014 at 10:33pm
Lingjing Chen 7th string
LikeReplyMessageJanuary 23, 2014 at 2:49pm
Lingjing Chen yes , I think 7th string is the biggest (thickest) string. so the big string . 
LikeReplyMessageJanuary 23, 2014 at 2:53pm
Lingjing Chen The correct answer is 1st string ?
UnlikeReplyMessage1January 23, 2014 at 2:57pm
Peiyouqin 木上絲 The thickest string is the Big string, that is correct, but the thickest string number is not the 7th.
Lingjing Chen ho really? 7th is not the thickest string , I'll look at again my Guqin ...
LikeReplyMessageJanuary 23, 2014 at 3:00pm
Peiyouqin 木上絲 大絃為一絃, 一絃為最粗的絃,七絃為最細的絃, 千萬別搞反了呦~ 
Lingjing Chen ok it's the 1st string thickest . (I confused with Guitare strings ... the order is in the other end)
UnlikeReplyMessage1January 23, 2014 at 3:07pm
Dongmei Cui My guess is the first string?
UnlikeReplyMessage1January 23, 2014 at 11:35am
Glenn Shouyuu Swann First. I got it now.
UnlikeReplyMessage1January 23, 2014 at 11:03am
Glenn Shouyuu Swann Hmm who could that be? 
UnlikeReplyMessage1January 23, 2014 at 11:00am
1/23/2014
-----------------------


宋琴民國的刻字 This Qin is from Song dynasty but the carving is from the 10 year of Republic of China (1921). Collection of Freer Gallery Washington DC.
1/16/2014
----------------------------


And with wrong characters
阮籍詠懷詩“夜中不能寐”

夜中不能寐,起坐彈鳴琴。 
薄帷鑑明月,清風吹我襟。 
孤鴻號外野,翔鳥鳴北林。
徘徊將何見,憂思獨傷心

This qin has couple wrong characters carving, 電腦刻字有兩處錯字




九霄環佩 machine made carving



What kind of knot it is? 小蜜蜂結

1/15/2014 在NYC China Town 的東方書局看到的兩張琴

No comments:

Post a Comment